Sunday, September 14

The lady near Sim Lim Tower

No, I'm not talking about a chio bu.

Last Thursday, due to the unavailability of components in the lab, I had to go all the way to Sim Lim Towers to buy an instrumental Amplifier for my EE2001 Project. The breadboard prototyping is next week and I just realised it recently. So, I am quite behind schedule, coz I haven't even bought the components yet.

So, while I was at Rocher road, a lady suddenly tried to call some people but she was ignored. Then while I was approaching, she called me. And (stupidly) I responded.

She came speaking Chinese(for she was not fluent in English) and keep telling me that she doesn't have a job and she had some thyroid problem and her mom was sick. She kept on saying that she wants to tapau meehoon for her brother, sister and mom. Then it occurred to me that she wanted money.

I was quite weary and I was afraid that she might be a cheat, but I cant bear to walk off just like that if what she was telling is the truth. Hence, judging by her shabby appearance and desperate tone of voice and her politeness, I asked her how much she needed. She said she needs $8. So I decided to give her the benefit of doubt and gave her $10 (with a frown on my face) and tried to rush off to Sim Lim to get my components and be done with it.

But after giving her my money, she was so happy and she introduced herself(Which I forgot her name instantly) and asked me my name. I muttered "Victor" which sounded like "peter" or "Bee de" or whatever and tried to rush off and brush her aside. But she kept trying to follow me and tried to talk with me coz she's so happy that someone helped her.

Damn sad...In my pride and arrogance, I didn't even bother trying to remember her name. After her introducing herself, it is evident that she isn't trying to cheat me. She is so genuinely happy that she wanted to talk to me or make friends with me. But I, sadly, am too busy, and too arrogant perhaps, not to try talking to her.

Where is my compassion? Why am I so caught up with my own project that I neglected and despised the poor. Donating $10 is one thing. Treating them with dignity and trying to make friends with them is another thing. She is probably despised by everyone on the streets. I am no different from the rest. Deep down inside, I know that I am too busy to care for other people. My actions made me realise that.

It is really sad to see people in those kind of conditions. It is even sadder to see that there people like me who despised them.

These thoughts went with me throughout the day. And I really regretted my actions that day.

2 comments:

ls said...

Yeah... I agree to what you say... I guess that's the problem of attention and time. We need those upon everything else in Singapore, coz they are the things that keep us alive...

Sorry to hear that, but at least u tried helping. Cheer up.

Anonymous said...

Think your 10 dollars count for alot :) Not many people will bother to even consider doing that.

Whatever your reasons for doing what you did, I think it was the smart thing to do nonetheless. It is unfortunately important in today's society to protect your own anonymity. And after all, the gesture of kindness is what's important, not the person performing the gesture ;)