Friday, March 13

Reveries and Passion

I just came back from a concert held at l'Auditorium de Lyon. It was a performance by the Orchestre National de Lyon on the topic of 'Reveries and Passion' (Dreams and Passion). It does remind me of how I used to go for free concerts in NUS. I dont have that luxury anymore.

Two pieces were played before the half time interval. One was about the roman carnival, the other is an organ concerto. I forgot about the first piece maybe because it seems so classical but the second piece gave me the impression of a nightmare, rather than dreams. It was a contemporary piece composed in 1995.

I was amusing to hear various comments from my friends who went. Patrick was saying that he felt so uncultured because he cant appreciate it. He remarked that he saw one guy sleeping next to him and the old lady covering her ears throughout the whole orchestra piece. Yoke Hian was like saying the composer of the modern piece was so brilliant and the emphasis was on rhythm and how the notes fill...haha...he's known to be very cultured. (who usually gives us tour guides around museums). Elvin was remarking on the irregular rhythm also and he used to play in the percussion section in his symphonic band. No wonder...haha

Overall, I enjoyed the performance, although I will not probably listen to their pieces for a 2nd time. When I go back to NUS, I'll catch all the free concerts while I can =)

No comments: